Gone are the days when interior decorators stuck to one style or theme. Now, different combinations are also part of what makes a room look unique. Mixing styles and learning how to keep the balance helps make the room’s personality stand out. The same concept applies to choosing which pieces of furniture you should combine.
If you are the person who loves the concept of the old meets the new, you might struggle to find the perfect combination of antiques and modern items. Worry not, because this article will give you tips on how to make it work.
The Perfect Pairing
Finding out how to mix two completely different styles can be challenging, but it is the same reason it is an exciting thing to do. Experimental combinations and some trial and error are fun, but some people are still hesitant to make decor mistakes. If you think you have no eye for spotting style, here are some helpful tips that could help you get started.
- Stick to modern or contemporary decorations for the house but insert antique accessories in some areas.
- Try the opposite: using antique decoration for the majority of the room, matched with modern accessories here and there.
- Identify an antique item to showcase and surround it with grouped contemporary decors, or vice versa.
- Have a mix of modern and antique decorations under one theme. For example, shades of blue, all-white, minimalist, etc.
Styles to Try
If you want to go the safest route, you can always try the already existing styles that also share the same philosophy:
- French Country – The mix of refined decor and rustic decor. It is the home style usually observed in the French countryside, where it got its name from. This style would give you a casual and comfortable yet elegant looking place using muted colours and soft-patterned fabrics.
- Shabby Chic – Another comfortable and inviting, relaxed home-style that decorators refer to is the Shabby Chic. This style makes use of rustic decors made from materials like denim, burlap, homespun, sailcloth, and even unfinished wood.
- Mid-Century Modern – If you want a home design that has classic and timeless appeal, this would be a perfect choice. The style is defined by clean lines, minimal ornamentation, and organic and geometric shapes. It is a trend that will never fade.
Other Design Tips to Take Note Of
Here are some styling tips that could never go wrong. Follow any of these, and you would end up with a room style that looks grabbed from an interior design magazine.
- Add a modern light fixture in the centre of a room filled with rustic antiques.
- If you have a reading nook, place your antique chair and accompany it with a modern side table.
- If you have an old-looking fireplace, it could be a great focal point, especially if the room is filled with modern furniture.
- Use a rustic antique dining table and place modern aluminium chairs surrounding it.
- A rustic looking room would need a visual pop, so try adding a modern piece of art somewhere inside.
- Have an antique sofa? Add a modern lamp right next to it.
Let Modern Meet Classic in Your Home
While there are some styling and home decorating methods that appear more pleasing in the eyes than others, the perfect room where the two meet still depends on your taste and preference. It is important to find the perfect balance between the two in terms of colour, scale, and proportion to make it unique.
If you need more antique pieces to complete your room’s look, visit Cavalier Antiques, one of the best antique furniture shops in Adelaide, to find the finest, special pieces like antique furniture, paintings, collectables, jewellery, and the like.